I’ve been busy busy busy (but I like it!)… I get up early in the morning and I go to sleep wayyyyyyyyy to late… Why? Well, for various reasons… Let me fill you in on the details:
1) I participated in a local market as an exhibitor
A few months ago I was asked to join the Pukema 2015 market in Puurs, a small village in Antwerp. Not only did I get a call from the Pukema organisation, I was also contacted by the organizer of a local fair in Eeklo (10-11th October), and I was accepted for participation in a third fair in Ghent (29th November). I have never been an exhibitor on a market or fair but there’s a first time for everything, right?
With a market and two fairs ahead of me, I started to make my preparations weeks in advance. I had a stock of my cards printed at Moo, had some posters made of my artwork , and prints from a small collection of designs that I’ve made for Etsy. If you know me, you’d know that I always strive for perfection (not always a good quality!) and I wanted to add something extra. That something extra was a collection of vintage style jewelry with pictures from my designs. Jewelry is not really my specialty, I spent a lot of time on making them, but I love how they turned out!
Having a stock of items for sale is not enough, I had flyers and business cards printed, and I thought of ways to present my products in the best possible way, that would reflect my style and the look and feel of my designs.
Because I was so well prepared the building of my stand went very smoothly and quite fast (I had practiced at home). I had everything with me that I needed and that helped to feel confident about myself. I took my daughter with me (because I know she loves doing those things) for some extra help.
The market was not an overall success, I had many viewers but just a handful of buyers. I don’t think that Pukema was the perfect market for me though, Pukema is more about music (there were concerts all day), having a drink with your friends, something to eat, fairground for the kids, some street amusement… I’m expecting more success at the other fairs. Still, Pukema was an unforgettable experience and I had a lot of positive feedback on my designs.
Some helpful tips :
- Being prepared is not a guarantee for success but it does help enormously to feel confident and calm the nerves.
- Make sure that your pricing is clear. I found some gorgeous little chalkboards in a dollar store – perfect in the whole concept but most of all: very practical!
- Have a little notebook with you. It was a great tip that I got from a friend, and I was happy I took her advice. I took some notes from things that I experienced or thought of and wanted to do better next time.
- A few years ago I bought a chalkboard in a store for just 5 Euros. It’s a great way to present yourself and your business. I saw many people watching it and reading what I had written on it.
- If the market is outside, make sure you can rent a tent (or if you have one from yourself, be sure to take it). A tent comes in very handy with unexpected showers!
- Make sure you have a stock of flyers and business cards with you. I may not have sold that much, people did often take a flyer and a business card with them, and you never know what might come out of that!
- A jar with candies is always a good idea if you have families with kids passing you by. While the kids asked for a candy, the parents took a flyer or a business card.
Here are some pictures:
The chalkboard that I bought for 5 Euros, perfect to present my business!
A stock of flyers and business cards. And a jar with candies! Note to myself: a note with ‘take me’ would encourage people even more to grab them, usually they only took a flyer or business card (or both), after we explicitly told them they could.
Having my cards spread out on the table was the best idea I had all day LOL. I hadn’t planned on presenting them that way, I was just going to put them in the baskets, but people would never have taken the effort to look at them if I hadn’t spread them out like this.
2) I have been allowed to open a shop at Creative Market
Creative Market is a platform for handcrafted, mousemade design content from independent creatives around the world. I had my eyes on them for quite some time, all the best designers have a shop at Creative Market! You cannot just open a shop though, you need an invite. About three months ago I applied but wasn’t accepted. The message was that they wanted to see more of me and then two weeks ago, I applied again! And was accepted… Still cannot believe it.
I will still sell my designs in the VectoriaDesigns shop, Creative Market is just a second outlet.
I have to make new previews for my products (the format is different than the Etsy format) and I have to make new zip files (no TOU or links are allowed in the zip files). Making new previews and rezipping everything is a lot of work, but I’m nearly there. I’ve already had some sales and a product ‘handpicked’ by the staff. ‘Handpicked’ means that your product will be shown on the main page and that makes for a lot of likes and views for your shop. It was my Worn & Tattered Vintage Newspaper Textures that was handpicked by the staff and yes, it’s on their main page. Just scroll down until you see ‘Handpicked’.
Or see the rest of my shop here.
3) New designs
Of course I keep adding new designs to my shop(s). These are the latest additions:
Are you planning on throwing a Halloween costume party this year? Then this invitation template and pack of costume contest printables will be the perfect tool!
6 artsy Artist Trading Cards with vintage mushroom images, with grungy textures. The mushrooms were scanned from prints that I found in a box that belonged to my father. In the box were so many old books, magazines, schoolbooks and other fun bits and pieces.
And then this paperpack in warm autumn colours, a bit worn and textured, for an extra cosy feeling, with faded vintage textures and images. With this pack you will get 8 textured/patterned papers and 1 solid paper. They are perfect for your fall or thanksgiving projects!
Among The Shadows Collection – Sneak Peek
Oh yes, it’s coming! It will be available in a large Halloween themed pack at a very affordable price, somewhere in the first half of October. Stay tuned!
That’s it for now. Enjoy your week!